Forums Developing a Syllabus for Will to Adorn-based Courses — comments requested! Reply To: Developing a Syllabus for Will to Adorn-based Courses — comments requested!

I have a few articles that might serve as interesting background reading. (Would it be okay to reproduce articles from JSTOR or Project MUSE here as *.PDF files?)

As for books…

I think Ayana Byrd’s Hair Story: Untangling the Roots of Black Hair in America is worthy of recommendation. It provides a great overview, although it’s mostly from a historical perspective (all the way from the 1400s to the early 2000s), and it’s an engaging read.

Men of Color: Fashion, History, Fundamentals by Lloyd Boston identifies a number of male exemplars of style. It looks like (and is) a high fashion coffee table volume, but the text and photographs actually a surprisingly in depth look at the self-expression of African American men through dress over the past century.

I’d also suggest Stylin’: African American Expressive Culture, from its Beginnings to the Zoot Suit and Black Style (Carol Tulloch). In my list of books to read is Dress, Gender and Cultural Change: Asian American and African American Rites of Passage.

Dr. Harold Anderson said:
One thing that we should develop together is a reading list/coursebook! Suggestions?