Forums The Will to Adorn Color Complex and Dress

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

This week there has been a detailed discussion about the health and lifestyles of African-American Seven Day Adventists (see link below) on an online health forum that I participate in.  This community serves as an interesting counterpoint to the Methodist, Baptist, et cetera Christians in the Atlanta area as well as the Muslims and Hebrew Israelites. However, here I am thinking about how the conversation on the blog has evolved into a discussion about skin color, feelings of self-worth, et cetera.

I do not have any evidence other than anecdotal that African-American dress or stylistic practices are linked to complexion as well. For instance, a darker-skinned, male graduate student that I knew man years ago used to wear West African (primarily Ghanaian) dress most of the time and he discussed the importance of having an Afrocentric (never fully defined but seemed rather rigid) approach to his lifestyle. It informed his activities (martial arts that he decided to study-Angolan and not Brazilian capoiera  because of links with Angola), where he spent most of his time (in the West End), eating habits (vegetarian because he claimed it was “African”), and the partner he chose (darker-skinned woman who also wore “African” attire). He often discussed self-hatred among African-Americans and colorism. Anyway, I wanted to put these ideas out her because it was on the forum and they referenced a film entitled “Official Dark Girls Movie” (see link below).

Ultimately, I am starting to question how stylistic practices, identity issues, and lifestyle are intertwined and would like to know what others have found.

Adventists Article:   http://news.adventist.org/2011/06/in-us-black-members.html

http://officialdarkgirlsmovie.com

Ultimately, I am starting to question how stylistic practices, identity issues, and lifestyle are intertwined and would like to know what others have found.

Perhaps you could change the title of this thread to reflect your actual discussion point? Or did you want this to be a discussion forum for your anecdote and colorism? It’s unclear to me.

Everything that I have posted deals with the interconnection of stylistic practices, identity issues, and lifestyle. However, this post was specifically about colorism.

Maurita,
      Your comment, “I am starting to question how stylistic practices, identity issues, and lifestyle are intertwined,” is exactly what this project is about! The thing is that it’s not always as thought out as in the case of the individuals and within the communities of faith to which you refer. I would love to hear more. Deborah Smith Pollard—any thoughts? (Deborah has looked at issues of dress within the gospel music community specifically!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.